Monday, October 19, 2015

Week 6: BlogPostIt

" But the humanist revolutionary educator cannot wait for this possibility to materialize. From the outset, her efforts must coincide with those of the students to engage in critical thinking and the quest for mutual humanization. His efforts must be imbued with a profound trust in people and their creative power. To achieve this, they must be partners of the students in their relations with them."

The part of this statement that I would like to focus on is the bolded line. When reading about the banking concept of education, this stood out to me particularly because of the word partners. I think that to achieve a mutual respect with students, you have to be willing to work with them in a variety of ways to meet their needs, and not only be their teacher, but their "partner". I think one of the most important aspects of being in a partnership with your students, is the respect that it allows. If you do not have the respect of your students, how do you expect them to be well behaved and engaged in your classroom? Not only is teaching them important, but teaching students how to respect others and behave is important, and if they can not accomplish that in your classroom, they will not be able to achieve that outside of the classroom. Being a students partner means that they respect you and treat you as their elder, not as another student or classmate. I think that it is also important to show students that you have noticed somewhere where they are struggling or succeeding. Showing them that you care that they might need extra help or that you care that they are doing so well can help gain that partnership and respect that should already be growing. As I was reading the reading, this made me think of my previous teachers and if I have felt that partnership with them. Honestly, not all of my teachers have achieved this, but the one's that have, well let's just say that I am blessed to have had them teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment